can't go to single user mode

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jan 11 18:18:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > ok, i'm confused ... wouldn't the only available runlevel options on
> > the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf be precisely those for the "init"
> > command, and the ones that you could add manually while at the grub
> > menu early in the boot process?
> >
> > according to "man init", that would include "1", "s" or "S", but i
> > don't see the word "single" anywhere there.  and i just tested that by
> > duplicating the default stanza in grub.conf, renaming the title, and
> > just adding "1" to the end of the kernel line.  selecting that option
> > from the boot-time grub menu takes me to single-user mode, just as i
> > expected.
> >
> > unless i'm misreading the actual problem here.
> >
> > rday

> There a few other keywords you can pass the kernel that affect run
> level. Some are processed by the kernel itself, and some are handled
> by the scripts in the initrd. One that comes in handy when things
> are really broken is "init=/bin/bash". This skips init completely,
> going directly to a bash shell. (You can use other shells.) Just
> keep in mind that only the root file system will be mounted, and it
> will probably be mounted read only when you boot this way.

i've seen most of that, i was just curious as to where that "single"
boot-time option was coming from, since i was pretty sure it wasn't
being processed by the kernel anywhere.  i just didn't read down far
enough in the man page for "init" -- it's near the bottom under "BOOT
FLAGS".  learn something new every day, i guess.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca