Problem with Kmail filters

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 11 19:11:49 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 January 2008, Lamar Owen wrote:
>On Thursday 10 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Can you recall how you did it?  smart-gui and yumex/rpm both refuse to do
>> it here.
>
>Do you have yum-allowdowngrade installed?   This adds a command-line option
> to yum (appropriately enough called '--allow-downgrade' that will allow you
> to downgrade packages with full dependency solving.
>--
>Lamar Owen
>www.pari.edu

I do have that installed, Lamar, but I copied the filenames I wanted to
downgrade for the two files in question, and all I got was the help screen
from 'yum --allow-downgrade kdepim-3.5.8-4svn20071013.ent.fc8.i386
kdepim-libs-3.5.8-4svn20071013.ent.fc8.i386'

yum didn't waste any time going out to the repos to see if they were
available, and yumex won't show them to us, only smart-gui still shows them
as available.  I've made 4 or 5 passes at doing that with smart-gui, but each
time it errors out with a message that those two exact packages are dependant
on each other and it bails out.

This whole kde-3.5.8-10 partial upgrade is a fscking disaster, many very
important things are broken, like quite a few of kmails pulldown menu
options, the docking tray, and I believe MIME in kmail for some attached
items.  I have had to manually edit those things I use all the time in the
kmenu cuz the execute links were broken by the update.  I could go, on, but
I'm sure others can append to this list, at length.

The most obvious thing to do would be to repackage those two -4svn offerings
such that they would be downgraded by the next 'update'.  Can this be done?
If not, why not?

Is it fedora's intention to keep us continually in a state of brokenness just
to promote RHEL?

Or is it to find and fix bugs for the next RHEL?  I personally thought this
was the plan, but after the last 2 years performance I am beginning to have
doubts.

If its the latter, then lets get to the fixing.  Some of this, like the system
tray has been broken 90% of the time since it all Just Worked(TM) when I
installed FC6.

Getting pi$$ed off thinking about it, I went and found where smart keeps its
packages cache and made:

[root at coyote packages]# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage
kdepim-3.5.8-4.svn20071013.ent.fc8.i386.rpm
kdepim-libs-3.5.8-4.svn20071013.ent.fc8.i386.rpm

do it, hopefully once I restart x, things will be working again.  If not, I
tried.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)