Handy pocket reference?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jan 12 01:56:13 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
 > > Sitting at my misconfigured system today trying to remember
 > > the "remount" option to mount so I could remount root as read/write
 > > and fix the fstab, it occured to me that the world could really
 > > use a small pocket reference guide with all the tidbits of
 > > information you need to know to get your computer back to the
 > > point where you can do google searches to find the rest of what you
 > > meed to know  :-) .
 >

 >  Oh, if only there were a portable device with wireless internet access.

You mean, like an internet tablet? How about a Nokia N800...somewhere
just above about $200

But even better the new Nokia N810. Less than half the volume of the
N800...in fact, its width is just less than that of my HewlettPackard
HP-48GX, it's 1/2 inch thick instead of over 3/4" and it  reaches only
to the bottom of the screen on the HP....

And yesterday, in a downtown Toronto office tower, it picked up 32 wifi
signals...amazingly over half were unlocked.

Even has a nice built in stand, so it will sit at the correct reading
angle, just like your laptop's screen. And it has a keyboard and
bluetooth. Makes a great MP3 player, and will do video. And has a
built-in GPS.

Geoff