n00b questions about ipods and linux (fedora 6 and 7)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 04:18:34 UTC 2008

Dean S. Messing wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a 160 GB iPod for my daughter for her
> approaching golden birthday (she's turning 18).
>
> I know _zero_ about iPods (or any other external device toys).
>
> My daughter is a budding classical concert pianist getting ready to go
> off to Music Conservatory.  She wants to use the iPod for studying the
> various pieces of music she's working on.
>
> We have a large classical music library.  Until now, I've ripped the
> individual pieces she's working on from the CDs onto our home
> computer.  Then she uses Xmms to listen. With Xmms she can move back
> in a piece by small amounts, &c, for musical and stylistic analysis.
>
> I now want to get her an iPod and be able to _easily_ put this music
> onto it via Linux (we have only Linux machines.)
>
> Are there tools in Fedora 6 or 7 that allow this?  As I say, I'm a
> genuine n00b here.  What are the linux/iPod limitations, if any?  If
> you are using a 160 GB iPod with Fedora, I'd like to hear about it.
>
> Thanks.
> Dean

I've had good luck using Amarok (which I believe uses kpod internally?)
but I also installed Rockbox to replace the normal iPod software. It
doesn't overwrite the iPod software and I can still boot to it if I want
to. My main reason is for OGG support which my whole library is encoded in.

Not that your daughter would be interested, but I also like that I can
play Doom on it now :) Although it is not very playable on my greyscale
screen.

Richard