LiveCD with KDE-4.0.0 anyone any luck?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 12 19:34:32 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Saturday January 12 2008 1:22:21 pm Dave Stevens wrote:
>> I have downloaded and burned it ok and it booted and ran fine.
>> I always suspect dirt in the optical drive first. Has it been
>> cleaned recently? or ever?
>
>You raise a flag. I have often thought dust was the #1 cause of
>CD/DVD optical drive demise. It just makes sense. The units
>aren't sealed, and you have fans inside the computer pulling air
>in through every crack and crevice it can find - over time, dust
>builds up, and light doesn't penetrate dust. So, my question...
>Have you found a technique that actually works to clean them?
>I've tried gently application of air and those cleaning discs,
>but, I've never had much luck with either.

I've had fair luck by pulling the sheet metal rad covers (with it out of the
machine and powerless) to gain access, and using an alcohol dampened Sheperds
Medical q-tip to very gently clean the face of the lens.  Emphasis on the
gentle, they are very easily mount damaged as the servo can only move so much
weight at 10 khz to track a wobbly disk at 52x, so every grain of extra
weight has been designed out of it and the suspension.  I have probably
damaged as many trying as I have fixed, and I can have a very gentle touch
when indicated.  And that is dampened with paint thinner alcohol, isopropil,
even the 90% stuff has too much water in it and will do a poorer job of
dissolving the cigarette smoke & airborne cooking grease etc that collects on
this stuff, and which may become pretty well baked on when the controller
turns up the laser trying to see through it.

Good luck :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)