New F8 hangs after mplayer and codec installations during BBC test.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 12 11:59:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 08:36 -0800, Les wrote:
> Next I turned off SELinux by disabling it.  JOY!! the system works.
> Why would disable be different from permissive (other than the
> background window telling you the errors?)

Over time a few people have found there's some cases where permissive
mode doesn't permit some things to happen (and log them), it actually
did stop them from working.  It looks like you've found another.

That's one reason why I, and others, will tell people that if they don't
intend to use SELinux, at all, to "really disable it, don't just put it
into permissive mode."  Think of permissive as a test mode.  And if
you're not testing, you either have it on or off.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.