Nvidia again

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jan 12 22:06:17 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 13:10 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> To get my new F8 to run at all I used the Nvidia provided system
>>> that worked fine. But then I decided to try the Fedora way. Now I
>>> can't even get on F8 because the nvidia from Fedora finds the
>>> day-old driver and instead of deleting it it errors out. Great
>>> design guys!
>>>
>> ---
>> Fedora doesn't provide nVidia.
>>
>> There is no Fedora way. If you plan to install from nVidia tarball, you
>> rely upon nVidia to provide a suitable package. If you use freshrpm's
>> packages, you must use freshrpm's prescribed manner/packages. If you use
>> livna's packages, you must use livna's prescribed manner/packages.
>>
>> Regardless of whether you use nVidia's tarball, freshrpm's nVidia
>> packages or Livna's nVidia's packages, Fedora has no involvement in your
>> plight because their intent is to provide a sustainable Linux and you
>> are stepping beyond the Fedora packaging.
>>
>> The fact remains, as so eloquently stated by Lamar, that Livna (and
>> likewise, freshrpm's), provide nVidia packages that take the nVidia
>> binary release and package it for easy and proper installation on
>> Fedora. The fact that you cannot manage their packages is a problem that
>> you should probably take up with the packagers.
>> ----
>>
>>>     It appears I will have to 1. Remove the nvidia rpm I just spent
>>> hours getting, or find out how I can manually remove the dam thing!
>> ----
>> rpm -e PACKAGE_NAME
>> or
>> yum remove PACKAGE_NAME
>> ----
>>
>>> Modules used to live above /usr/lib/ but no more.
>>>
>> ----
>> modules ALWAYS live in /lib/modules/$KERNEL
>> ----
>>
>>>  I have not found them even on F7.
>>>
>> ----
>> same answer
>> ----
>>
>>>  What am I missing?
>>>
>> ----
>> I'll pass on the bait but thanks for the offer.
>>
>> Craig
>>

>    I found it thank you for reminding me where the modules have been
> for years. I found the nvidi module first in F7 and then in a mounted
> F8 and now I will try F8 again with that removed.
>
> Karl

    However removing the nvdia driver from modules did not fix the
problem with the knuNvidia drivers I d/l from Fedora. So I'm back making
my own. I know how to do that. And know how to remove drivers. All good
everyday stuff for a Linux user. No wonder Fedora has 0.002% of the
computer users in the world.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI