sudo doesn't work, I'm not in sudoers file, but I am.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 12 22:53:47 UTC 2008

>From the sudoers file:

[...]
## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
root	ALL=(ALL) 	ALL
gene	ALL=(ALL)	ALL

That 2nd line is the only addition to the file as distributed.

Humm, stupid?  question:  Does this only take effect after a reboot?  Cuz now
its working, not only from a shell I did an "su - gene" in but from a direct
login on tty2 as myself.

Weird, I just took it back out, (vim said it was a read-only file so I had to
use the :w! to write it) and the lockout was instant:

[gene at coyote ~]$ sudo ls -l
Sorry, user gene is not allowed to execute '/bin/ls -l' as root on
coyote.coyote.den.

Same message I've been getting for a week or more, and its been at least a
week since I added the 'gene' line above without any visible effect.  F8 is
gonna put me on the funny farm yet.  And that ain't funny!  Some might say
its not a long drive and offer to buy the gas even...

So I then put it back in, and I'm allowed.  Go figure, but I'd sure like to
know why the hell it hasn't worked until today...

Thanks.  Unless it upchucks on me again, I guess this is a 1 message thread..

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)