Fedora/Linux as a USB Drive

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sat Jan 12 23:07:00 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson írta:
> Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>
>> I guess yout mean to connect two computers via a USB cable and "see"
>> one of the machine ("slave") from the other ("master").
>> I don't think you can find such a cable prefabricated and there's a reason.
>> It wouldn't be a simple USB extender and the "USB host" hardware
>> built into PCs aren't created to deal another "host" on the USB bus.
>> Hint: the SCSI bus was created to deal with such a detail but Linux
>> SCSI adapter drivers still don't support the target mode only the
>> initiator.
>>
>> What would you want to see from the slave? Some exported FS?
>> Way easier and cheaper to buy a crossover cable and learn how to setup
>> your simple point-to-point network then e.g. Samba would autodetect
>> the other host on the network.
>>

> They do make such a cable. They actually make several different
>
> kinds of them, some with the software to use them built into the
> cable as well. The drivers are on what looks like a read-only memory
> drive. I have never checked to see if their are Linux drivers for
> them. Here is one example of the cable:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLU-USB20-DL&cat=CBL

It's not a "cable" - there's something in the middle :-) a device with
two USB connections so you can connect two USB hosts to it.
(I guess it looks like USB-serial converters from both computers,
there was a DOS 6.2 utility that could be used to send some files
over serial connections...) Get a similar gadget that behaves and looks
like a network adapter in Linux. But a crossover cable is still cheaper.
I guess your motherboard has an ethernet connector built-in.