sudo doesn't work, I'm not in sudoers file, but I am.

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sat Jan 12 23:18:33 UTC 2008

On 01/12/2008 04:53 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
|>From the sudoers file:
|
| [...]
| ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
| root	ALL=(ALL) 	ALL
| gene	ALL=(ALL)	ALL
|
| That 2nd line is the only addition to the file as distributed.
|
| Humm, stupid?  question:  Does this only take effect after a reboot?
Cuz now
| its working, not only from a shell I did an "su - gene" in but from a
direct
| login on tty2 as myself.
|
| Weird, I just took it back out, (vim said it was a read-only file so I
had to
| use the :w! to write it) and the lockout was instant:
|
| [gene at coyote ~]$ sudo ls -l
| Sorry, user gene is not allowed to execute '/bin/ls -l' as root on
| coyote.coyote.den.
|
| Same message I've been getting for a week or more, and its been at
least a
| week since I added the 'gene' line above without any visible effect.
F8 is
| gonna put me on the funny farm yet.  And that ain't funny!  Some might
say
| its not a long drive and offer to buy the gas even...
|
| So I then put it back in, and I'm allowed.  Go figure, but I'd sure
like to
| know why the hell it hasn't worked until today...
|
| Thanks.  Unless it upchucks on me again, I guess this is a 1 message
thread..

Take the "gene" line out of the sudo file. To edit it, use "visudo".

Uncomment the "wheel" line:
~  ## Allows people in group wheel to run all commands
~  %wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL

Save the file and exit visudo.

Now, edit /etc/group and add yourself to the  wheel group.

- --

~  Steve