sudo doesn't work, I'm not in sudoers file, but I am.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 13 04:30:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 23:20 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> [...]
> >> ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
> >> root    ALL=(ALL)       ALL
> >> gene    ALL=(ALL)       ALL
> >
> >Sure looks okay to me.  Note that you can also use:
> >gene    ALL=(ALL)      NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> I'm not sure I'd want that.  While this house is secure, and dd-wrt is between
> this box and the net, I think that might be trusting things a wee bit much.
>
> In fact, my password, while longer than most, is about half the length of
> roots, which is so long its not usable with ssh or samba.  For that reason, I
> wouldn't mind being forced to use roots password to sudo.  Is that possible?
----
I'm thinking that doesn't make much sense. What would make more sense is
that if you don't trust yourself (or your password, like others know
your password), create another user, give that user sudo power and
simply su to that user instead.

There are some protections afforded to root that by default are not
given to users (interactive rm for example) and vice versa. For that
reason, I like to simply su to root when I need root privileges and stay
as user when I don't.

Craig