Updates

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jan 13 15:50:05 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>> [root at localhost ~]# rpm -qi vlc-core.i386 0:0.8.6d-3.lvn8
>> package vlc-core.i386 is not installed
>> package 0:0.8.6d-3.lvn8 is not installed
>>

>>    I can't figure it out. Why is yum needing to update a missing rpm?
>> By the way I also tried yum clean all.
>>
> You need to do a lot more reading before you do anything.....
>
> You need to learn about the naming of packages as opposed to the rpm
> file name....
>
> A quick way to know what packages you have installed would be to do...
>
> rpm -qa | grep vlc
> This will list out any packages with the name *vlc* (you do know what
> an * is...).
>
> There never is a package name of "vlc-core.i386" or
> "0:0.8.6d-3.lvn8".  Package names cannot have spaces in them.

    I used this and this to no avail:

 rpm -qa | grep vlc
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep *vlc*
[root at localhost ~]#

Well this funcky YUM is showing packages that do not exist to UPDATE?
What can be the problem? It is way above my knowledge level. I really do
not want to be that smart.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI