sendmail mails without running any mailserver on fc5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 20:55:23 UTC 2008

ankush grover wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>

> I am running a production server on FC5 64-bit and due to security reasons I
> am not running any smtp/mail server  on this server (sendmail/postfix/qmail)
> as this server is publicly exposed. Is there any way to send the mails for
> ex daily log reports, tripwire mails etc.. to an email account without
> running any smtp/mail server on this system.

First, if you are concerned with security, you should no longer be
running FC5 since it has not had needed security updates for ages.
Second, there is no security problem with running sendmail in it's
default configuration on fedora since it only accepts connections on the
local socket 127.0.0.1, not the network, specifically to permit local
programs to send email without security risks.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com