F8 hangs after 10 minutes inactivity on Dell optiplex 755

Ryan B. Lynch ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 02:17:02 UTC 2008

Ryan B. Lynch wrote:
> Now that I think about it, I did have one of those pretty OpenGL screen
> savers selected.  I can try the obvious thing, which is to switch to a
> blank screen saver, and a non-OpenGL screen saver, and see if there's a
> difference in the behavior.
>
> If I can establish that the problem is, in fact, the OpenGL screen
> saver, that might also explain your (Keith Hunt) problem being
> intermittent.  A lot of Fedora desktops I've seen have been set to
> random select a different screen saver each time it turns on--so
> sometimes you'd get an OpenGL one that screws the pooch, and other times
> it would be a non-OpenGL one that works just fine.
>
> Too much speculation--when I get in front of that my Fedora machine,
> again, I'll keep digging and I'll see what I can find.
>
> -Ryan

I triggered the locking behavior, ALT-F1'd to a text virtual console,
and ran 'ps aux'.  The program 'kdesktop_lock' was running, and when I
gave it a 'kill -9' and ALT-F7'd back to the X session, everything was
back to normal.

Initially, I tried opening the KDE control center to change the screen
saver choice, but the screensaver plugin froze right after I selected
it.  I had to 'kill -9' the control center program.  This is
interesting, because that plugin automatically starts a minature demo of
the currently-selected screensaver (which was, as I mentioned before, an
OpenGL screensaver).  I could not even change the screen saver selection.

I decided to try turning off the 'fglrx' stuff, and the easiest way was
to back up my dual-head Xorg.conf file, remove the kernel module and X
packages, and reboot.  The machine came back up and everything worked
(session locking, control center screensaver plugin, etc.) just fine.  I
switched to the 'slideshow' screensaver (non-OpenGL) to test the
locking.  Then, I re-installed the 'fglrx' packages, copied my dual-head
  Xorg.conf file back in place, and rebooted again.

The machine came back up with dual head working, and so I tested session
locking.  The screen successfully locked, but sometimes seemed to have a
delay between the command to lock and the redrawing of the screen.  The
control center plugin crashed, though.

For now, I'm happy with this.  I can lock the session and leave the idle
-timeout lock turned on, and I can get control of the desktop back
without the hassle of switching to a text console, logging in, and
killing the lock process manually.  That's enough to get my work done.

I suppose it could be something wrong with my dual-head Xorg.conf
file--I never tried the screensaver with 'fglrx' running but no
dual-head.  I might try some more combinations, if I have the time, but
right now it's just not a priority.

Keith, thanks a million for pointing me in the direction of the
screensaver.  That was the key, and I probably wouldn't have figured it
out on my own.

-Ryan