Error help: There is no default action associated with this location

Tom McQ mcq_dc at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 02:29:42 UTC 2008

Jim,

Thank you much for the simple idea. I opened the File Browser (which apparently is part of or is Nautilus) window for my home directory, selected the Up function to switch to /home, right-clicked on my home folder, selected Open with other application, then selected File Browser. Once I did that, all items in my Places menu began working again. Amazing.

I still don't know where Nautilus stores the file associations, how file associations for the "file:" protocol got corrupted on my computer, or why this Open with other application created a permanent fix. But your solution worked and fixed the problem at hand -- at least for the "file:" protocol.

Many thanks.

-Tom