Updates

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jan 14 05:39:45 UTC 2008

Ron Siven wrote:

>     Simply put, (feel free to respond with "I told you so") both repos
>     contain vlc, x264 and other packages.  These repos are mutually
>     exclusive.  Unless you are interested in inflicting pain on
>     yourself do
>     not, at any time, enable both.  And never, ever....unless you know
>     what
>     you are doing use more than one of these on your installed system.
>      Pick
>     one...and stay with it.
>
>     So, Karl, unless you really know what you've done (as in kept detailed
>     notes) you may best be served by starting over again and picking
>     ONE of
>     these repos and using it and only it.  As you've stated, you're not
>     smart enough to deal with the complexities that are introduced by
>     using
>     multiple 3rd party repos.
>

> Question:  Would you still deem it unacceptable to have both of these
> repos enabled  even if one were using the  yum-priorities plugin?

It would totally depend on who "one" is.  :-)

Does "one" have the ability and knowledge to understand how to configure
the plugin?  Does "one" know what happens if they set the priority to 4
(for example) for multiple 3rd party repos?

I have no experience with the plugin.  However, I suspect it is useful
for experienced users and dangerous for the inexperienced.

--
My mind is making ashtrays in Dayton....