How to configure window focus behaviour?

Hi,
in gnome I can't find a way to disable the auto-focus feature
of dialog windows: I find it absolutely unbearable :(
KDE, on the other side, seems to be already configured correctly:
popup don't take focus  and are reported with a blinking icon in the
tray.  I'd like to do the same with gnome: is  it possible?

	Nico