Re: Eclipse: Installing updates

Hi,

* Dan Thurman <dant cdkkt com> [2008-01-11 13:38]:

> I noticed that as a normal user, installing eclipse updates may require write
> permissions to root filesystem areas (/usr) and will fail.
>
> How do you get around this as a normal user?  Is there a way to allow the
> normal user temporary root permissions so as to complete the updates?

We carry a patch in Fedora Eclipse that adds an update site in the
user's home directory.  Things should just work.

> If I were to log in as a root user, the updates would be installed but also in
> the root user's home directory which is not what I want.

In theory they'll go into /usr/share/eclipse but it's not recommended as
platform.xml can get written which can mess up subsequent startup.

Andrew