ipod

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:56:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:54:29 -0500
Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:

> Alex White wrote:
<snipped>
> Did it give you any particular errors?  I'd like to see any bugs
> in the libgpod code fixed so that things "Just Work(tm)" for
> users of newer ipods.

I'll restore my ipod to factory and go through the process again
when I get a chance. I will report back for you, I will also
create a bug report to help out.

> If anyone else has problems with the libgpod update that's now in
> F7 and F8, please report them (preferably in bugzilla, as
> sometimes I miss things on the list :).

I don't use Fedora on the machine I connect my ipod to, I use CentOS
5, so I am not familiar with the packages that are in F7. I probably
should have been up front about that. My apologies. Hence why I
picked up the source and modified the Fedora spec to create my
libgpod rpm. Sorry about that. ^_^

> > Ideally, there would be a more automatic way of handling it,
> > but I do not own a Nano, so I can't speak for its
> > functionality.  Please note that path names will be different
> > for you. These are just examples.
>
> There is a hal callout in the libgpod update that is supposed to
> take care of this automagically.  I have talked to several users
> with new classics and nano videos that is has worked well for.
> Any cases where it fails are bugs that can likely be addressed if
> we get good information on why things are failing.

I was probably being obtuse. I'm not the sharpest edged tool in the
shed.

> > There are many posts in Ubuntu forums and others concerning
> > newer ipodx devices. If you are able to make the leap from
> > Ubuntu pacakage/tarball installing to rpm based installing, you
> > should not have a problem. I created my own libgpod rpms for
> > example.
>
> There's no reason at all to move to Ubuntu over things like this.
> There are no official packages for Ubuntu, while there are for
> Fedora. And, AFAIK from talking with some Ubuntu
> packagers/developers, there will not be any official libgpod
> updates in the current Ubuntu releases.
>
> There is also much useless info in the ubuntu forums regarding
> ipods, so please be careful if/when reading the advice there. :)

I was again, probably being obtuse. I didn't mean to suggest anyone
should go to ubuntu simply for packages or for better ipod
experience. I meant, in terms of packaging (if it is even
necessary, and I'm not sure it is for Fedora at this point) to be
able to make an rpm rather than a deb. I hope that makes sense.
Sorry for making that confusing. Let me repeat that. I wasn't in
any way suggesting one install Ubuntu for the sake of ipod usage.
^_^

There is definitely a lot of useless info, I happened to be
semi-familiar when I came across the forums as to what was useful
to me. Hence I was suggesting that ubuntu has a lot of forums posts
and you may want to look there _purely for guidance_. Sorry if I
was not clear about that. Poor choice of words.

Sincerely

ethericalzen at gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release