TV out through VGA? ATI X1400 with fglrx driver

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:53:45 UTC 2008

On 14/01/2008, Rick Bilonick <rab at nauticom.net> wrote:
> When I'm at home I will upload my xorg.conf file. I found the
> information on the web - it's readily available. I would search for
> "modeline", "HDTV", "1920x1080", etc. or whatever (e.g., PAL). You
> should check the info on your video card to see what resolutions it
> handles. The original box it came in had the information but I'm sure
> you can find this on line.

Thanks. Now that I know what to google for, I will. Note that the
video card is _still_ in it's original box. I never took it out of the
box. The box just happens to be a Dell Inspiron 6400.

> I should add that the connector or adapter I use to go from VGA to
> component output is actually not so simple. I bought an RCA unit (I
> don't remember the name and number and I can't check at the moment). It
> has a box but again it does not do scan conversion - it just changes the
> analog VGA to analog component output. This unit was made for RCA's HDTV
> tuner box (DTC100) to allow connection to HDTVs with only component
> inputs (and no VGA inputs). I have an RCA HDTV that includes a standard
> VGA input so I don't need the unit for that but the unit works fine with
> the VGA from video cards that support HDTV formats. HDTV ATSC formats
> are different from European formats.

I see this getting messy. My Fuji 5500 camera has a yellow RCA plug
that works with every TV that I've plugged it into. I should like to
find something similar for this Dell.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il