Looking for a fast printer

All -

I am looking for a fast printer for home which will Just Work(TM) with
Fedora.  I print primarily black and white, so that's the main desire.
I've seen a couple of inexpensive color/black and white printers that
boast up to 40 ppm but they seem to use a ton of ink and refills are an
arm and a leg.

Anyone got any real world experience with good cheap black and white
printers that don't cost an arm and a leg to operate?

Thanks!
Thomas