Updates SOLVED!

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jan 14 23:04:16 UTC 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 19:50, Karl Larsen wrote:

>     Now since I have just the freshrpms repo on my yum in
> /etc/yum.repo.d when I did
> # yum install vlc it did it perfect almost. The freshrpms repo is broken
> today. Here is what the download looks like at one part:
>
> (13/20): vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8 100% |=========================| 1.3 MB
> 00:49
> http://ayo.ie.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/8/i386/freshrpms/RPMS/vlc-0.8.6d-1
>.fc8.i386.rpm: [Errno -1] Package does not match intended download
>
>     It says it doesn't have the right vlc number or whatever. I thought
> maybe just a hickup and did this:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# yum --enable=freshrpms install
> vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8.i386.rpm
> fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB
> 00:00
> updates                   100% |=========================| 2.3 kB
> 00:00
> freshrpms                 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB
> 00:00
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8.i386.rpm available.
> Nothing to do
>
>     So in summary I fixed my problem by deleting all vlc files on my
> computer. I tried to load vlc from freshrpms and it is broken. Someone
> needs to fix it. I will try to fix it using the livna repo but I am
> going to be careful :-)
>
> Karl

Good evening Karl (at least it's evening here). I don't think there's a
problem with the vlc package from freshrpms. The list I posted you was from
when I installed it. The latest vlc I have installed is vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8, and
it installed and works ok. Check the link below for werewolf (F8), and the
vlc entry that's there.

http://werewolf.freshrpms.net/

I don't know if your Yum is messed up somehow, but do you feel like a journey
into the world of apt, and see if we can get your vlc reinstalled?

If so.
yum install apt synaptic

Synaptic is the GUI for Apt.

You need to add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list for freshrpms, as below.
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ fedora/linux/8/i386 freshrpms

For the sake of having a record of what's happened on the CLI, I'd also create
a directory in your /home/user directory. Mine is named "History-files" . The
edit tab on the terminal gives you the option to "save history as", and for
normal system updates I name them according to the date. 20071118 as an
example. If it's an install of a specific package with loads of deps like
vlc, I'd name it as 20071118-vlc. It's nice to go back and see what was
installed at the time. Anyway, enough of that, and presuming you are still
game for trying out Apt to get your VLC fixed, we'll go for it.

Obviously su to root on the CLI, then type.
apt-get update

This will download the package lists for fedora updates, and everything (the
defaults), and also from freshrpms (presuming you've added the line I
mentioned)

Next, and just for the experience, type synaptic. This will open the Synaptic
GUI, and you can scroll down to VLC, and see if it's available. Click on the
line, select install. If there are deps needed, you will need to click on the
"Mark" box. Then click on apply at the top of the synaptic window, which will
open another window asking if you want to proceed with the install, and
telling you the size of the download.

Putting Synaptic to one side, and after having done the apt-get update, you
can simply type.
apt-get install vlc

To say the least, it will be interesting to see if apt-get has any problems
with the vlc package, especially as you've had problems installing it with
Yum.

Anyway it's getting late here, and I felt really hammered this morning after
finding myself still posting at 3am last night. I'll be around for a while
though.

All the best.

Nigel.