Updates SOLVED!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jan 15 00:47:29 UTC 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008 19:50, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>>     Now since I have just the freshrpms repo on my yum in
>> /etc/yum.repo.d when I did
>> # yum install vlc it did it perfect almost. The freshrpms repo is broken
>> today. Here is what the download looks like at one part:
>>
>> (13/20): vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8 100% |=========================| 1.3 MB
>> 00:49
>> http://ayo.ie.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/8/i386/freshrpms/RPMS/vlc-0.8.6d-1
>> .fc8.i386.rpm: [Errno -1] Package does not match intended download
>>
>>     It says it doesn't have the right vlc number or whatever. I thought
>> maybe just a hickup and did this:
>>
>> [root at localhost ~]# yum --enable=freshrpms install
>> vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8.i386.rpm
>> fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB
>> 00:00
>> updates                   100% |=========================| 2.3 kB
>> 00:00
>> freshrpms                 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB
>> 00:00
>> Setting up Install Process
>> Parsing package install arguments
>> No package vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8.i386.rpm available.
>> Nothing to do
>>
>>     So in summary I fixed my problem by deleting all vlc files on my
>> computer. I tried to load vlc from freshrpms and it is broken. Someone
>> needs to fix it. I will try to fix it using the livna repo but I am
>> going to be careful :-)
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Good evening Karl (at least it's evening here). I don't think there's a
> problem with the vlc package from freshrpms. The list I posted you was from
> when I installed it. The latest vlc I have installed is vlc-0.8.6d-1.fc8, and
> it installed and works ok. Check the link below for werewolf (F8), and the
> vlc entry that's there.
>
> http://werewolf.freshrpms.net/
>
> I don't know if your Yum is messed up somehow, but do you feel like a journey
> into the world of apt, and see if we can get your vlc reinstalled?
>
> If so.
> yum install apt synaptic
>
> Synaptic is the GUI for Apt.
>
> You need to add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list for freshrpms, as below.
> rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ fedora/linux/8/i386 freshrpms
>
> For the sake of having a record of what's happened on the CLI, I'd also create
> a directory in your /home/user directory. Mine is named "History-files" . The
> edit tab on the terminal gives you the option to "save history as", and for
> normal system updates I name them according to the date. 20071118 as an
> example. If it's an install of a specific package with loads of deps like
> vlc, I'd name it as 20071118-vlc. It's nice to go back and see what was
> installed at the time. Anyway, enough of that, and presuming you are still
> game for trying out Apt to get your VLC fixed, we'll go for it.
>
> Obviously su to root on the CLI, then type.
> apt-get update

> [...]
    You I hope are already in bed but for others I am learning about
apt-get. After getting it all set up, it ran looking for vlc on livna
and said this:

[root at localhost ~]# apt-get install vlc
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
requested an impossible situation or that some of the repositories
in use are in an inconsistent state at the moment.

that package should be filed.

  vlc: Depends: vlc-core
       Depends: libvlc.so.0

This seems to think the files are not in the proper order or are without
a way to solve a dependencies.

This sure could be why yum fails too. I will add freshrpms to the mix
and see what apt thinks about that.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI