Wireless configuration with FEdora core 8

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 08:13:53 UTC 2008

Arno Spies <arno_spies <at> rogers.com> writes:

> I am a Linux newbie.I installed Fedora 8 on a Dell  Latitude C810 Laptop.
>The kernel I first Installed was 2.6.23.1-42.fc8After installation I connected
>my Linksys WUSB54G Ver 4 wireless card. After a little playing I got it
>connected to my home wireless network.The update system downloaded the updates
>available including kernel 2.6.23.9-85.fc8.After installation completed
>the wireless refused to connect. I tried different things that I found on
>the Internet. It attempted to

You did not say what you tried to get a wireless connection? Also you did
not mention which wireless card you have ipw2200, ipw3945, ipw4965 etc...

Have a look at my wireless guide at
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/fedora_wireless.html
and see if it helps you.

There are different ways to get wireless connections - open, WEP, WPA,
etc and also different tools to use in Linux - network, NetworkManager,
wpa_supplicant - and all work differently.

Perhaps a little reading around the subject would give you more information
about the options.