firefox handling of apostrophe in www address?

William John Murray W.J.Murray at rl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 09:45:48 UTC 2008

   Hello there,
             My employers have just produced a WWW link with a name
like:
   "private.xx.yy/bad name/really bad name's.doc"
If I click in firefox under fedora 8 I get a 404 for
   "private.xx.yy/bad$%20name/really%20bad%20name"
If I type into the title bar
 "private.xx.yy/bad$%20name/really%20bad%20name\'s.doc"
openoffice opens a document containing: "500 internal server error"
If I use a certain other operating system, firefox translates the
apostrophe into %27 and does get the file.

  Is this a Fedora bug? Or are apostrophes not really legal?

   Thanks,
           Bill
Ps Before someone complains, I know the English is wrong.