rdesktop woes

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Tue Jan 15 17:51:24 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: rdesktop woes
From: "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>
To: jim at coolzero.info, For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 01/15/2008 09:58 AM

> Jim van Wel wrote:
>
> OK, let's simplify the problem a bit.  I have a Linux laptop that I am
> trying to connect to a Windows XP machine on the same subnet in my home
> network.  It experiences the same problem as I've described.  Other XP
> machine on the same subnet can connect with Remote Desktop under XP.
> Furthermore, the laptop has an XP running inside of VMWare which can
> also connect to other XP machines using Remore Desktop without a
> problem.  This tells me tha the proper network ports are open, *OR*
> rdesktop does not use the same ports as Windows Remote Desktop does.
>
> This is my dilemma.  Why does Windows->Windows work, but not
> Linux->Windows.  Does Remote Desktop require a back port that is not
> open in rdesktop?  I've seen many different posting from people who say
> "it just works for me".  But it doesn't just work for me, not on 3
> different machines running 3 different versions of Fedora.
>
> Then, again, yesterday I was ready to say that it didn't even work
> Windows->Windows until I physically copied the RAIncident file to the
> connecting machine and opened it by file association....
>
>> Greetings,
>> Jim.
>
> Can we please keep this conversation "on list"?   Thanks.

Can you share the rdesktop command you are using? Also here is an
rdesktop command that I use all of the time that works flawlessly for me:

rdesktop -Txyznbu1 -nmybox -g1270x950 -a24 -rsound -b -4 xyznbu1

This connect to a box named "xyznbu1". It gives the window a title of
the same name. Other options determine color depth, protocol and screen
size.

If your command options differ, try the ones above and see if you have
any success.

Other things to consider:

The host name must be resolvable. To check this out:

$ host xphost-name
if it resolves, great. If not try
$ ping xphost-IP-address
If you can ping it try adding a line in:
/etc/hosts
192.168.0.100 xphost-name

Where the address above is replaced with the actual address of the
computer running XP.

If it does not respond to ping, make sure you have the right address and
get ping working before you do anything further.

Then try the host and ping using the name. If both are successful, then
try the rdesktop command again.