Updates SOLVED!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jan 15 20:40:19 UTC 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 15:39, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> "yum clean all" only cleans the cache for each _enabled_ repository.
>>>
>>> When you have disabled freshrpms by default, "yum clean all" does NOT
>>> touch anything in /var/cache/yum/freshrpms/.
>>>
>>     Well I did do all the manual clearing of /var/cache/yum/freshrpms/
>> and it still fails. So does it fail when I force it to use livna.
>>
>>     It is simply a case where if you use # yum remove pulseaudio it does
>> but it takes with it critical files that are not easy to replace. There
>> is somewhere a file missing or a simlink broken. And I and everyone on
>> this list can not find it.
>>
>>     So I say lesson learned is DO NOT use yum remove unless your a real
>> expert.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Hi Karl. It's not so much having to be a real expert, but being carefull, not
> to allow the removal of a package, if it wants to remove half of the
> operating system at the same time.
>
> For example. Removing pulseaudio-libs will also remove the following pkgs.
> SDL, SDL_image, akode, akode-pulseaudio, ekiga, gstreamer-plugins-pulse,
> kdemultimedia, kdemultimedia-libs, libflashsupport, mpeg2dec, mplayer,
> mplayerplug-in, opal, pavucontrol, pulseaudio-libs-glib2, pulseaudio-utils,
> pwlib, vlc, and wxGTK.
>
> There is no way that I would allow that lot to be removed.
>
> There is only one component of pulseaudio that you actually need to remove to
> disable pulseaudio, and that is the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package, then
> your sound apps will use alsa directly again, and the rest of the pulseaudio
> stuff can remain on the machine.
>
> Why not reinstall the pulseaudio packages. Synaptic shows the following
> packages installed.
> pulseaudio, pulseaudio-core-libs, pulseaudio-esound-compat, pulseaudio-libs,
> pulseaudio-libs-glib2, pulseaudio-module-gconf, pulseaudio-module-x11,
> pulseaudio-utils.
>
> Doing the above though is not going to reinstall all the deps that "yum remove
> pulseaudio-libs" removed. For example on my list of deps to remove above,
> some of these are specific to what I have installed. I use KDE, and
> kdemultimedia, and kdemultimedia-libs are listed. Also I have Mplayerplug-in
> installed, and it wants to remove it, along with mplayer that mplayerplug-in
> installed as a dep.
>
> One that you might want to check you have installed is akode. Trying to remove
> akode-pulseaudio also wants to remove this.
>
> Ones related to vlc that are going to be removed are wxGTK, mpeg2dec, and
> SDL_image. I see that SDL is also going to be removed, so I'd check to see if
> that is still installed, and if not reinstall it.
>
> Quite why the vlc related deps are being removed is anybodies guess, as if I
> go to remove vlc, no deps are going to be removed, only vlc itself. The same
> goes for mplayer. The only dep that's going to be removed with mplayer, is
> [...]
    What you say is exactly right. I have no idea what the yum remove
took out but did ruin the yum on F8. And I have no record or the desire
to try and repair F8. I might re-load it and try to disable pulseaudio
your way. I will try apt-get AFTER I have a whole and well F8. For now
it's F7.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI