rdesktop woes

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Jan 15 22:14:12 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

>> Paul Lemmons wrote:
>>

>>> XP Home does not support rdesktop. You must be running XP Professional.
>>>
>> I think I need to get this statement clarified.  Windows Remote
>> Assistance works just fine to and from Windows XP Home.  Are you saying
>> that Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home use different versions
>> of the RDP?  And that rdesktop only supports the RDP version used by
>> Windows XP Pro?
>>
>> Hmmm, if that's the case, then I had better change my plans to use my
>> local windows computers to help debug my Mom's computer.   sigh
>>

> OK, I tried again.  This time from my laptop Linux to my VMWare Windows
> XP Pro session (102.168.38.128).  I set up a Remote Assistance request
> (is this correct?) on the Windows computer, then I tried to connect:
>

>> rdesktop kjcpc
>>

> and it fails in remarkably the same way.  *This* Windows is XP Pro.  I
> *MUST* be doing something fundamentally wrong here....

Why aren't you connecting with protocol 4? It defaults to 5. There was
an earlier thread about this, and it is from one of those that I found
this answer, so I'm no genius; I simply research old posts and pay
attention to the solutions others found. Let's look again at Paul
Lemmon's example:

rdesktop -Txyznbu1 -nmybox -g1270x950 -a24 -rsound -b -4 xyznbu1

Bob