NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A choppy

I have a problem with the DVD-ROM of my Dell Inspiron 6400 (DUAL INTEL, 1 gig ram). It seems that the DMA is not enabled, DVD movies drops 50% of the frames. The device does not let me enable DMA and If have tried the workaround method of combined_mode=libata or combined_mode=ide see: http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=556704&postcount=1. This did not make any difference. Any other ideas? The BIOS as no settings as well.

LAPTOP: Dell Inspiron 6400, Intel DUAL 1.6
MEM:       1 GIG
DVDRW:  NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,