Failure to SET Mode of wlan0 in F7

Simon Slater pyevet at aapt.net.au
Wed Jan 16 00:54:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 14:00 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 19:15 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> > 	G'day again,
> > 		I've been working at getting wireless going on an Acer Extensa 5220
> > with a Broadcom 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card.  The error that appears isn't
> > covered in the threads and howto's on the Broadcom cards so perhaps it
> > is a simple networking mistake on my part.
> >
> > 	Both the commands #ifup wlan0 or #iwconfig wlan0 mode Auto give the
> > error:
> >
> > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> > 	SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
> >
> > 	I have tried Auto and AdHoc modes in both system-config-network and
> > iwconfig with the same error.  The network service is off, Network
> > Manager & NM Dispatcher are on.  The NM applet shows up to 3 wireless
> > networks but I cannot connect.  ifconfig shows wlan0 is UP.
> >
> > 	What have I missed, skipped or forgotten?
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Simon
> >
> I had the same error when trying to configure my bcm4318 card after
> installing Fedora 8. iwconfig could not change essid. After trying
> everything I could think of, and posting to this list (no one had any
> ideas that helped) I uninstalled ndiswrapper and re-installed and then I
> was able to connect.
>
> Rick B.

	I'm not running ndiswrapper, some said it is not needed with b43 so I
haven't installed that to keep it a bit simpler - one less thing to work
out.

	Now you mention it, after starting the lappy just now, the ESSID has
reset to null.  So that change didn't stick either.  I'll find that
thread and have another read.

--
Regards
Simon