vfat lv sharing

Michael Weiner weinerm at ccf.org
Wed Jan 16 02:49:32 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 9:25 PM, Msquared <sub2.fedoralist at msquared.id.au> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:17:41AM +1030, Tim wrote:
>
> > You can format a partition as VFAT *or* LVM, it can't be both at the
> > same time.
>
> I think Michael has a logical volume in the volume group, and that logical
> volume is VFAT.
>
> Michael: if you want Windows to see that logical volume, I don't think
> this is possible.  If I were setting up a dual-boot system where I needed
> to share information, I'd set it up with partitions like so:
>
>  1: /boot (ext3; 100MB)
>  2: C: (FAT; for Windows)
>  3: D: (FAT; for shared space)
>  4: volume group (for Linux installation)
>
> Also, be aware that Windows will see the Linux volume group as a drive
> that it thinks it can do stuff with, so you might want to install
> Microsoft PowerToys to hide the volume group from Windows Explorer, so
> that you (or someone else) doesn't accidentally format the volume group or
> do something else with it in Windows.

Msquared

Thank you for your response, and  you are quite right. I have a logical
volume within a volume group that is fat32 (mounted as vfat in fstab). I
finally decided there was no way for XP to see it  all it would see was the
entire volume group as a single raw disk with 0 bytes free and 0 bytes used,
LOL. So, i re-installed using the old fashioned partioning without LVM
advantages and that of course worked.

Thanks all for the responses.
Michael Weiner