Re: rdesktop woes

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Curious, Windows XP Firewall on all 3 machines have checkboxes for both
> Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance on both my XP Home and my XP Pro
> machines.  Is this just M$ being inconsistent?

Enabling it in the firewall only opens the port being used, TCP 3389.

To enable remote desktop in XP Pro, visit Control Panel -> System, and click
the Remote tab.  An XP Home install will have Remote Assistance, but
shouldn't have the Remote Desktop function.  For it to work, you have to
check the checkbox and assign a user that has a password to it.
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu