Re: Linux Friendly Hardware Database ??

Michael A. Peters wrote:
Many moons ago I bough a Sony DVD burner.
It worked in Linux from day one - worked extremely well.

I finally ran out of my supply of DVD-R and bought another 50 spindle.
It will not burn to them - first spitting out the disk and sucking back in, and then failing when it comes to the burn.

I googled the error and found that my drive is old enough that for the new media types, I need to update the firmware on the drive. Went to get the new firmware, and read the instructions. You can not update the firmware from a DOS boot floppy, you update the firmware from within Windows.

That's a bit of a problem for me, I do not have windows, and this is NOT the kind of task I would expect to work in wine (though I may be wrong, I kind of doubt it would).

So I'm on the hunt for a new DVD burner, but I'd like to find one that allows firmware updating via boot floppy or bootable flash drive. I'm having trouble finding one.

Is there a hardware database of Linux friendly hardware that takes into account things like firmware updates? I hate having to replace hardware that otherwise functions perfectly, but just needs new firmware.

i dont know of one ... maybe some else does ... i am interested