livna problem

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jan 16 11:27:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Stuart Sears wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >    All you wise guys who are thinking your smart look at this and tell me
> > what is wrong with my yum.
> Karl,
> starting your emails with semi-veiled insults like this is not really going to
> encourage us all to help you.
>
> Also, you really don't need to post absolutely *everything* from that output
> Just the final error message would have sufficed in this case.
>
> Despite this, I'll give it a quick attempt...
>
> Is this an attempt to install vlc on a virgin f8 installation?

... snip ...

if someone has what they think is a thorough and tested "recipe" for
VLC on F8, i'd be happy to post it at my wiki and give you the credit
for it.

what would be the most useful part of such a recipe would, IMHO, be a
series of stress tests to make sure VLC is working properly for as
many media formats as possible.

i know there are fedora VLC instructions out there, and i might take a
quick peek at them later.  but if someone wants to e-mail me off line
with what seemed to work for them, i'll be happy to reproduce it here
on a fresh F8 install and see how well it works.

rday

p.s.  if there are any 32-bit versus 64-bit install issues, that would
be useful to know, too.

p.p.s.  there are pages that really make it seem simple, such as:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html

if it's really that simple, it's probably just worth noting that, too.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook:    http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook