Safe removal of pulseaudio

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jan 17 02:11:35 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>> This is on a freshly installed version of Fedora 8. The *nodep* option
>> to rpm replaces the --force option
> I'm not so sure this is an accurate statement...or maybe I misunderstand
> what you are saying....
>
> For the rpm command the --force option means:
>       --force
>              Same as using --replacepkgs, --replacefiles, and --oldpackage.
> while --nodeps simply means:
>       --nodeps
>              Don’t do a dependency check before installing or upgrading
> a package.

I guess what I was trying to get across was the not needed options when
using rpm. From your description about --force, it sounds less deadly
than using --nodeps. At least the whole previous package will be
overwritten and either upgraded or downgraded.
I assumed force meant to install under any condition and did not realize
it would still take into consideration the dependencies.

> Both exist and they are not equivalent.  Or maybe that isn't what you
> meant to imply.

You enlightened me regarding the --force option. I have used
--replacepkgs --replacefiles in combination before and --oldpackage
usually singularly but never investigated the --force option because it
intimidated me from usage from its name.

Thanks!