Can a laptop change from suspend to hibernate without user intervention?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:30:46 UTC 2008

I have an Asus Eee PC running Fedora, and, at the moment it suspends
when the lid is closed.  It would be quite easy for me to change that to
hibernate, but I really don't want to go through the full process of
moving information from the hard drive to the RAM each time I open the
lid.

What I'm looking for is something that will suspend the computer (as
well as maybe writing the RAM to the hard drive, I really don't care),
and then, if I bring it up within, say, 20 minutes, it resumes.  If I
leave the lid closed longer than 20 minutes (or any other random
number), I'd like it to hibernate.

Is this possible?  Is there any way for a computer to pop out of suspend
long enough to hibernate itself?  Or is this a pipe dream?

Jonathan