That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:08:17 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> The burden
> of avoiding repository compatibility problems is on the 3rd party
> packagers' shoulders.

I'd call this a recipe for disaster, given the facts that (a) a very
large number of packages were available in 3rd party repositories long
before the fedora project even existed, (b) fedora policy precludes
completely replacing the contents of all these packages, and (c) the
original packagers sometimes can't change to be compatible without
breaking updates for their own current users.

 > Unless you manage to get Fedora packagers to
> monitor 3rd party repositories, some of which they may not even have
> heard of before.

Exactly, and that just doesn't happen.  Is it just that I know more
about the RPM situation or is this better organized over in the .deb world?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com