Fedora 8 doesn't use my external monitor

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jan 17 16:23:27 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Msquared wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:07:30PM +0000, Gordon Hay wrote:
> > Laptop attached to docking station, and through that to an external
> > display.
>
> You might like to experiment with the xrandr command.  It can dynamically
> change resolutions, add and remove extra monitors, etc.  A few starting
> points:

Yeah, I got a little surprise yesterday from xrandr during a presentation on
my F8 laptop.  I had just disconnected the projector from the external
monitor connector on my Dell 640m, and was taking notes in a kmail composer
window, when all of a sudden the screen went black and I was returned to the
login screen.  Good thing kmail keeps what you were doing.

What had essentially happened, I think, is that the screen resolution changed
from the 1024x768 it was using while the projector was connected to the
native widescreen resolution; this apparently triggered a logout or similar.
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu