My Fedora 9 wishlist and suggestions

subhodip biswas subhodip at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 17 16:36:56 UTC 2008

HI !

On Jan 17, 2008 7:25 PM, Abhishek Rane <abhishekrane at gmail.com> wrote:
>     Well I expected some improvements from fedora 8 but what i got is a
> rocking Ubuntu killer! I have some suggestions for Fedora 9 ...
> 1)Gnome-mount should mount partitions in the Computer folder rather than
> on the desktop..Its really troublesome for people with 12 partitions..
> 2)Make thunderbird the default mail client instead of evolution ...I
> guess a Thunderbird lightbird combo would rock!

 This is customizable, you choose what you want to use .
> 3)A graphical screen for shutdown as nice as rhgb
Dont mind , But Lot of people dont even look at their machine while
shutting it down. plus if something fails .. it is shown .. so
nevertheless mailing list traffic that my machine take lot of time to
shutdown is prevented .
> 4)Now since Fedora  is a complete opensource product i guess we should
> add a nice little presentation or a startup video sort of a thing which
> lets people(newcomers) know that they are using an opensource product
> and they should be proud of it(similar to windows xp tour) [putting it
> in sessions startup won't be a bad idea].
Why not you try a hand on... their are quite a good session recorder
are available and some good video editors also .
.Most people shift to linux
> bcoz they are fed up with windows ..with fedora they should know what &
> why they are using and i guess this would create an awareness of
> opensource rather than people shouting in mailing lists "why the hell
> can't it play mp3?".
I think codec buddy serves that purpose
.Now I know that when you first start fedora firefox
> comes up but all we do is hit the close button or goto our favourite
> site rather than reading the release notes.A simple yet attractive
> presentation/slideshow(some sound wud also do) telling people what is
> open source and why they should use open source will make people aware
> of this magical world ..Most important the catchline should be "Free as
> in Freedom".Also a nice graphical tutorial sort of a thing abour kde and
> gnome desktops would be great
> 5)Also when the user tries to play mp3 it comes with a nice plugin
> finder ...thats's great but i guess there should also be a
> note/catchline there that "Move to freedom Go Opensource> Convert all
> your mp3s to ogg!" and when the user clicks it, it should present the
> user with the advantages of open codecs the quality specs and stuff in a
> little window and side by side it should open this program called
> oggconvert..Oggconvert is a very useful tool and i believe it can
> accelerate the opensource movement ...B'coz when people start using open
> codecs rather than spending hours on mailing lists trying to figure out
> how to play an avi file they would start realizing the importance of
> open codecs.Coz when they use it the know about it and then they start
> depending on it..

Try a luck with it ..

--
Regards