Tiny server?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 17 16:44:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 14:18 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I find the idea of a little box, with no moving parts, and no screen,
> rather attractive.

You can get them from some get-a-bargain place.  Cardboard box, nice
foil wrapping, but does nothing...  ;-)

But being serious, I think you may be on the wrong list for that sort of
thing.  You want an OS that's designed for efficiency (Damn Small Linux,
perhaps?), whereas Fedora seems to be the *big* Swiss Army knife with
razor sharpened edges - size being less important than features.

Yes, it'd benefit from more efficiency, but I don't think it's a prime
goal.  I can see some possibly interesting projects with a small box,
too.  e.g. Small media players with local amplifiers, and centralised
media storage.  But you do sacrifice a lot with dedicated special
hardware.  And then you end up using a full computer to control the
gadget, so what have you gained?  ;-)

To whittle Fedora down to that small size does mean it stops being what
most people might think Fedora is, if you end up being only a step away
from being Linux from scratch.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.