That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 17:00:54 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> no, that clearly won't stop some people from screwing things up, but
> as long as people continue to build incompatible repos, i don't see
> that there's any perfect solution.

Ummm, people didn't 'build incompatible repos'.  The 3rd party repos
existed long before fedora (I used them with apt-get for rpms back in
the RH7.x days and they were probably around before that).  It is the
fedora project that is repackaging parts of the things available in 3rd
party repos in incompatible ways.  That might be OK if they had the
potential to be a complete replacement, but they don't.  So they have
set up the situation where they won't/can't provide everything needed
and yet refuse to cooperate with the people who will.  I suppose a US
company with enough money to be worth suing has to maintain some
distance regarding cooperation with anything potentially related to
helping with patent infringement but that isn't even involved for some
things like Nvidia and java.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com