My Fedora 9 wishlist and suggestions

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 17:46:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 8:55 AM, Abhishek Rane <abhishekrane at gmail.com> wrote:

>    Well I expected some improvements from fedora 8 but what i got is a
> rocking Ubuntu killer! I have some suggestions for Fedora 9 ...
> 1)Gnome-mount should mount partitions in the Computer folder rather than
> on the desktop..Its really troublesome for people with 12 partitions..

I agree.

> 2)Make thunderbird the default mail client instead of evolution ...I
> guess a Thunderbird lightbird combo would rock!

Better to just make them aware of their choices......let them decide

> 3)A graphical screen for shutdown as nice as rhgb

unnecessary

> 4)Now since Fedora  is a complete opensource product i guess we should
> add a nice little presentation or a startup video sort of a thing which
> lets people(newcomers) know that they are using an opensource product
> and they should be proud of it(similar to windows xp tour) [putting it
> in sessions startup won't be a bad idea]..Most people shift to linux
> bcoz they are fed up with windows ..with fedora they should know what &
> why they are using and i guess this would create an awareness of
> opensource rather than people shouting in mailing lists "why the hell
> can't it play mp3?"..Now I know that when you first start fedora firefox
> comes up but all we do is hit the close button or goto our favourite
> site rather than reading the release notes.A simple yet attractive
> presentation/slideshow(some sound wud also do) telling people what is
> open source and why they should use open source will make people aware
> of this magical world ..Most important the catchline should be "Free as
> in Freedom".

Freedom isn't free.

Also a nice graphical tutorial sort of a thing abour kde and
> gnome desktops would be great
> 5)Also when the user tries to play mp3 it comes with a nice plugin
> finder ...thats's great but i guess there should also be a
> note/catchline there that "Move to freedom Go Opensource> Convert all
> your mp3s to ogg!" and when the user clicks it, it should present the
> user with the advantages of open codecs the quality specs and stuff in a
> little window and side by side it should open this program called
> oggconvert..Oggconvert is a very useful tool and i believe it can
> accelerate the opensource movement ...B'coz when people start using open
> codecs rather than spending hours on mailing lists trying to figure out
> how to play an avi file they would start realizing the importance of
> open codecs.Coz when they use it the know about it and then they start
> depending on it..

You would of course have to tell them that many mp3 players do not support
ogg.
I HEARTILY agree that we should make users more aware of the open standards.

> 6)There should be a general encouragement about filing bugs..Me being a
> gnome user a small panel app saying "Spot a bug" or file a bug will be a
> great thing to do..There should be a note that there is a fedora mailing
> list to which you can subscribe..

Let them find the list on their own. Pointing it out will result in quite a
few people just emailing the list over some problem and never following up.
Worse they will turn to the list first instead of google.  Which happens
anyway from time to time but I think it would definitely create alot of
unnecessary traffic.

This Spot a bug thing i noticed in
> Safari beta where just besides the address bar they had this little bug
> icon and it was really easy to file a bug..So this spot a bug thing
> should be brought in to the "normal user" visibility range.

An excellent idea.