That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 18:58:49 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> perhaps, but that would violate the fundamental rule that's already
>>> been mentioned a number of times here -- don't mix non-fedora repos.
>>
>> "mentioned here" == a few hundred people understand it - maybe...
> Well, it is sort of like customizing your car.

If you start with the realization that the manufacturer omits vital
parts and you are required to customize to have something useful.

>>> if they forget, and cavalierly start dragging packages out of other
>>> repositories sometime down the road, they have no one but themselves
>>> to blame.
>>
>> Can you point to the documentation that explains that? It's broken as
>> designed.
>>
> I think it is more of a common sense type of thing.  Anyone can start
> their own 3rd party repository.

The 3rd parties in question existed before the fedora repos.

> You or I could start our own.  But it
> is just like any other 3rd party enterprise.  It is not expected, or
> mandated that they work together.

Not expected to work togther...  Yes that's a good description.

> If you think they should...then you
> are operating under a flawed assumption.

I think we agree that the design is wrong.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com