Linux Friendly Hardware Database ??

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jan 17 21:08:59 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:

> I've never had the need to upgrade the firmware in a CD/DVD drive.
>
> What does Sony support say? Sony has some involvement with Linux.

CDs burn fine.
The problem is with newly manufactured DVD-R media.
The firmware needs to be updated. Fortunately cdrecord is smart enough
to know not to try - rather than make coasters (like some windows
burning software will do)

Old DVD-R media burns fine, it's just the newer manufacturing processes.
What I guess I need to do is find a supply of NOS 8x media online - as
my local places are only carrying the 16x media that uses the new
manufacturing method.

Sony support said they will not support my drive in Linux.
So I replied truthfully that I have used nothing but Sony drives since
my first IDE cd burner because they always just worked, and now I'll
have to find another vendor.