PCI-e video card recommendations

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Thu Jan 17 22:34:35 UTC 2008

On 1/17/08, Terry Polzin <foxec208 at wowway.com> wrote:

> I'm in the processing of building a new F8 machine and would like a
> recommendation for a reasonably cheap PCI-e video card.  I don't do much
> in
> the way of graphics, 3D  or gaming so I don't need top of the line
> performance.

I'd look for a motherboard with an integrated graphics chip with good Linux
support.  If you're not doing 3D or gaming there's no reason to pay for a
separate video card.

I've had good experiences with the Intel GMA 950, which you can find
integrated into lots of motherboards.  For example, picking one at random
from a manufacturer I've used:

   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130121

If you don't mind binary drivers practically anything you can buy new from
ATI or Nvidia should also work fine.  I'd avoid that path though, if I were
you.

-sam