Re: PCI-e video card recommendations

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:34:11 -0500
Felix Miata <mrmazda ij net> wrote:

> On 2008/01/17 11:37 (GMT-0500) Terry Polzin apparently typed:
>
> > I'm in the processing of building a new F8 machine and would like a
> > recommendation for a reasonably cheap PCI-e video card.  I don't do much in
> > the way of graphics, 3D  or gaming so I don't need top of the line
> > performance.
>
> If you have an available legacy PCI slot, a very large number of dirt cheap
> or free 8-12 year old cards with 4M or more of RAM will probably do you just
> fine as long as you are using a 4:3 display.

If its an Intel CPU system I'd pick a generic Intel board with reasonably
recent Intel graphics. Motherboard video today is at the point its
perfectly good even for lighter gaming (eg bzflag). The Intel video is
also the closest right now to "just works" - and with a new enough Fedora
for the relevant video card does indeed just work.

Alan