[F8] Need help with tar or how to copy root to new drive?

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Fri Jan 18 07:03:09 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> I am having a hard time simply trying to copy my root partition to a new
>> drive and somehow tar is not doing what I expected. Can someone advise
>> me how to do it correctly?
>>
>> I tried:
>>
>> 1) mkdir /mnt/new
>> 2) mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt/new
>> 3) cd /mnt/new
>> 4) (cd /; tar --one-file-system --xattrs -cf - .) | tar
>> --one-file-system --xattrs -tvf -)
>>    [result: All mounted filesystems are copied over]  Drat!
>
> I think you have a typo somewhere.  The --one-file-system option should
>  keep tar from traversing mount points (and your -tvf option isn't going
> to copy anything...)
>
>> The only other possibility that comes to my mind is to mount the root
>> drive
>> to /mnt/root read-only. mount the new drive to /mnt/new, and then
>> tar-copy
>> but this may have consequences with the currently mounted root
>> filesystem?
>
> If your drives are identical you can boot the install media with 'linux
> rescue' at the boot prompt, then use dd to copy the raw disk image.
>
> cp -a or rsync should work as well as tar for a file oriented copy, and
> both have --one-file-system options.

Hi, I'm always using "cp -xaP " to some parition (omitting some directories in /) for making a copy
of the system, and the copied system is running even the copy is made during a fully running system.

Regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],