Updates SOLVED! ... Or is it!

Joshua Andrews josh at wavefood.com
Fri Jan 18 07:23:49 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Joshua Andrews wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> Is yum-fastestmirror plugin installed?
>>>
>> Ed,
>>
>> You and Michael Swendt(?)  Are a couple of people whom I thought
>> would respect my perspective however if you have the inside info on
>> the really coool new fastestest mirror patch then I will forgive you
>> your prolix.
>>
>> So do I just do; `yum install the fastest coolest mirror`?
> The shortened form of the command is...
>
> yum install yum-fastestmirror
>
> [root at f8 ~]# rpm -qi yum-fastestmirror
> Name        : yum-fastestmirror           Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 1.1.10                            Vendor: Fedora Project
> Release     : 1.fc8                               Build Date: Fri 04
> Jan 2008 02:38:15 AM CST
> Install Date: Fri 18 Jan 2008 02:17:04 PM CST      Build Host:
> ppc4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
> Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
> yum-utils-1.1.10-1.fc8.src.rpm
> Size        : 7607                                  License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 15 Jan 2008 02:41:48 AM CST, Key ID
> b44269d04f2a6fd2
> Packager    : Fedora Project
> URL         : http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/yum-utils/
> Summary     : Yum plugin which chooses fastest repository from a
> mirrorlist
> Description :
> This plugin sorts each repository's mirrorlist by connection speed
> prior to downloading packages.
>
> FWIW, I used to take Prolix but it gave me an upset stomach.....

FWIW, taking prolix wont do much to unsettle (or settle) anything but
even though I did not believe it, it is true, you can install the yum
fastestest coolest package just as you recommended. That is cooler! I
did it. I kind of wanted a way to use the Geo-IP db or something but if
it works I'm satisfied for now.

thanks,
- Joshua