df not reporting correct free space - hard link problems?

On my (ext3, LVM) drive on which I perform backups, I went to copy a large directory and starting getting loads of out-of-space errors, even though 'df' reports plenty of room, even to non-root users.

$ df -h /usr/backup
/dev/mapper/sata0-backup
                      464G  367G   88G  81% /usr/backup

.. but:

mv: cannot create regular file `blah': No space left on device

Now, I am using rsync to create daily+weekly backups on that drive, so there are wads of hard links to things several times over. But 'df' should be able to cope with that, shouldn't it?

I ran a forced fsck on the drive, but that reported no problems. Any ideas anyone?

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature