xen

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 18 13:16:20 UTC 2008

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2008-01-18, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> I like to run xen-capable CPUs and this adds to the problems. First,
>> with xen:
>> I like to use a framebuffer console. It's a while since I tried on the
>> Dell so we'll ignore that for the moment.
>
> Out of curiousity, what is the advantage of the xen kernel? I notice it
> was installed when I installed FC8, and it seems to run fine, but why
> exactly would I want to use it?

xen is a tool that enables one to run several virtual computers on one
real computer. For example, I can boot the Xenified kernel for F8 and
the run Windows on that (with newer CPUs).

The grub configuration specifies Xen as the kernel, then has two modules
directives:
title Scientific Linux SL (2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
         module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
         module /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen.img
         savedefault

I've used my 64-bit F8 system to run a couple of 32-bit Debian systems
for special purposes, and tried some things with Windows.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait