Re: xen

John Thompson wrote:
On 2008-01-18, John Summerfield <debian herakles homelinux org> wrote:

I like to run xen-capable CPUs and this adds to the problems. First, with xen: I like to use a framebuffer console. It's a while since I tried on the Dell so we'll ignore that for the moment.

Out of curiousity, what is the advantage of the xen kernel? I notice it was installed when I installed FC8, and it seems to run fine, but why exactly would I want to use it?

xen is a tool that enables one to run several virtual computers on one real computer. For example, I can boot the Xenified kernel for F8 and the run Windows on that (with newer CPUs).

The grub configuration specifies Xen as the kernel, then has two modules directives:
title Scientific Linux SL (2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        module /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen.img
        savedefault

I've used my 64-bit F8 system to run a couple of 32-bit Debian systems for special purposes, and tried some things with Windows.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait